Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fox News' Only Good Show - R.I.P.

Fox News has dropped Eric Burns, the conservative but fairminded host of Fox News Watch, the network's news media criticism show.

Fox News Watch wasn't perfect - for instance, it always seemed less likely to cover stories that looked bad for Fox --but what it did cover, it covered fairly, partially because of the diverse political views of its analysts, but mostly because it was hosted by Burns, who was first and foremost interested in hearing what people had to say. According to TVNewser, Now Burns is being let go.

It's not like News Watch is hurting in the ratings:

"Burns has hosted the show since 1998. Last weekend, Fox News Watch was the highest rated cable show in Total Viewers and was the #2 show (behind Fox & Friends Weekend) in the A25-45 demo." (From TVNewser)

"I was given no reason," Burns told Johnny Dollar. "I have no theory, none, why they are getting rid of me. Although I heard rumors, I have never heard reasons."

According to Inside Cable News, "the program will remain focused on media criticism but will be revamped with a new host and more of an eye on the evolving new media."

I don't know what that is supposed to be, but I doubt it will be a good show again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home