Friday, November 12, 2010

Ten Movie I want to See: Million Dollar Legs

I first heard of Million Dollar Legs (1932) in the Marx Brothers Scrapbook, because its female lead, Peggy Fleming, later became Mrs. Harpo Marx.

And that was before I learned that the Klopstokia, the film's fictional nation, is populated with superhumans, including W.C. Fields, whose immense strength helps him hold the presidency in turbulent times.

Fields decides to have Klopstokia dominate the 1932 Olympic Games in Los Angeles as a means of raising capital for the country.

Aside from Fields and Fleming, the film also features Ben Turpin, Jack Oakie, Hugh Herbert, and Little Rascals/Our Gang star Dickie Moore.

A New Yorker Review recently described MDL as similar to the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, only not as disciplined. That's all I need to know.

The film was not included on either volume one or two of the W.C. Fields Comedy Collection DVD sets, and I've had no luck finding it for rent or sale from a retailer I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home