Sunday, February 20, 2005

Correcting IMDB.com on Matt Drudge

I love IMDB.com. It's the greatest waste of life a movie lover can ask for outside of the movies themselves.

But I read one item, under the trivia section of Matt Drudge (not an actor, I know, but they do bios for any big media personality) that was a typical example of right-wing anti-Clinton myth:

Was sued, unsuccessfully, by the Clinton White House for $30 million dollars for libel.

For the first time, I went through the corrections process and typed this:

Was sued by Clinton presidential aide Sydney Blumenthal for 30 million dollars in libel damages after Drudge wrote - and retracted - a report which wrongly accused Blumenthal of spousal abuse. The case was settled out of court, and Blumenthal agreed to pay $2500 in expenses to Drudge.

I was asked to provide reasons by IMDB.com. Here's what I told them:

The previous trivia claimed that Drudge was sued by the White House. This is incorrect. He was sued by a presidential aide. I have also added some more details for clarity. See http://www.courttv.com/archive/legaldocs/cyberlaw/drudge.html and http://archive.salon.com/politics/red/2001/05/02/blue/

I think what I wrote is pretty fair. I did note, for instance, that the Blumenthal story was retracted before the suit, and that Blumenthal had to pay some of Drudge's expenses. But sheesh! To think how many people go around thinking "The Clinton White House" sued Drudge and lost...Get it straight, people.