Friday, March 14, 2008

The Trouble with D&D

I loved the concept of Dungeons and Dragons when I first learned about
it, and I was always mystified by how boring it was to play. href="http://www.slate.com/id/2186203/">This article in
Slate sums up a lot of the problems. D&D, and so much of the
video/computer games that it inspired are all centered on killing and
looting. That's what you're there for. That's all you do.

It isn't just the moral aspect of it. It kills creativity. There's little room for character input and improvisation on the part of players.

Apparently
there are better games out there - The write mentions Steve Jackson (I
loved his Sorcery! books). Maybe I'll get to try one of those some day.

Also, I got sick of rolling a 12-sided die every time I wanted to zip my fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home