Monday, July 04, 2005

Why "Monster, Indeed?"

Bill wrote me:
Subject: Phrase Origins? From the Tempest: TRINCULO Where should they be set else? he were a brave monster indeed, if they were set in his tail.

Could be. Of course, the title of the blog is explained as a quote from "Bride of Frankenstein". The Burgomaster (E.E. Clive) proclaims "Monster, Indeed!" several times. Of course, his snorting dismissals always explode in his face.

I had always liked the phrase and long ago got the idea that it would be a good title for a rock band. More recently, when I set up this blog, I recalled it and decided to make use of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whale or one of his screenwriters decided to make use of the phrase from "The Tempest." I find it oddly catchy, possibly because by itself it's a complete, meaningful sentence, but one that leaves a lot of questions.

Incidentally, there was a payoff to the Burgomaster role that was left out of the final print of BOF. With everyone panicking about the escaped Monster, the Burgomaster settles back in his chair and dismisses the whole thing with a final "Monster, Indeed," just before the Monster pops up outside the window behind him and drags him through it. Accounts I have read suggest either that the Monster then kills him, or just bops him around a little. Maybe they left it unclear. Alas, we'll probably never know.

And that's all I know or have to say about "Monster, Indeed!"

Happy Fourth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home